Monday, February 20, 2012

My Political Persuasion

The last thing I want to do, is have a political discussion with someone. That is my honest political position. This is not something I like to advertise and I am especially reluctant to say so here for my politics class. Why? Because I feel like that if I don't agree with you, then I will be attacked.  This is hard for my particular aversion because I don't really agree with anyone. I tend to plead the other sides case, whatever it may be.

When I meet someone who is different from myself, I am interested in how they became who they are. What influenced them to become who they are? I don't really care about their political standing usually, more often than not I am asking why they chose their occupation or friends or spouse. What mannerism or ideas do they share with their close friends or family? These are interesting questions. Questions that lead me to understand them and to better relate to them. I have never found this to be true in politics. In politics I find people to be argumentative, often biased, polarized, and at times hostile. I am not your enemy, and thinking differently does not make anyone the bad guy.  I think politics brings out the worst in people, whether its for the "common good" or not.  In pursuit of ideals, we act petty and manipulate each other.  For these reasons I'd rather spend time with my family or doing anything else I enjoy than dealing with politics. Through this class I hope to see how politics does work because it's easy to see the evils.  I'd also like to hear classmates' reasonings and why they believe what they believe.

No comments:

Post a Comment